In the increasingly complex landscape of regulatory compliance, new technologies are emerging that help businesses keep pace with the changes. Among these new technologies, a RegTech (Regulatory Technology) solution stands out for its ability to simplify and streamline compliance operations.
What is RegTech?
RegTech helps businesses automate and improve their regulatory compliance efforts. This technology, together with data analytics and cloud computing, provides firms with powerful and automated compliance processes. These solutions not only ensure businesses stay on the right side of regulation
,, but also provide invaluable insights and tools for effective risk management.
The benefits of RegTech solutions
Most of today’s business leaders recognise the capabilities and advantages of introducing technology across a variety of departments – be it marketing, finance, operations or IT. With the potential for saving time and cutting costs, driving productivity to new heights, and creating a happier workforce, the perks of integrating technology into the business landscape are endless.
If implemented correctly, RegTech can assist businesses with a more uniform, cohesive and consistent approach to data quality from the onboarding stage through to ongoing monitoring and management of a customer.KPMG
Regulated organisations, irrespective of their size, are progressively digitising their day-to-day operations, with better customer experience and efficiency as their top priorities. The logical next step for these firms is to further leverage digitisation for compliance. Through the use of RegTech, compliance teams can deliver process efficiencies, reduce costs, and ensure a more confident and connected compliance strategy, amongst other impactful benefits.
Reduced compliance costs: By automating repetitive and manual tasks, RegTech solutions can significantly reduce the cost of compliance.
Risk mitigation: Advanced data analytics and predictive capabilities help identify and assess potential risks before they turn into regulatory breaches.
Real-time compliance: RegTech tools can provide real-time monitoring and reporting, ensuring compliance with up-to-the-minute regulatory changes.
Data management: RegTech solutions help organise, manage, and utilise the vast amount of KYC and KYB onboarding data a business collects, improving decision-making and risk assessments.
Efficiency: Automation and digitisation of compliance processes result in faster and more efficient operations – and happier customers.
Transparency: Using RegTech can enhance visibility into compliance processes and operations, ensuring transparency for all stakeholders.
Scalability: Good RegTech solutions can be easily scaled up or down to match the pace of your business’ growth and the ever-changing regulatory landscape.
Accuracy: Automated processes significantly reduce human error, improving the accuracy of compliance reporting and documentation.
Competitive advantage: Embracing RegTech can give your business a competitive edge by staying ahead of regulatory changes, managing risks effectively, and allocating resources more efficiently while ensuring a friction-free onboarding process for your customers.
How to choose the best RegTech solution for your business
Choosing the right RegTech vendor is key to ensuring you find the right tool to meet your firm’s requirements. Your selection and evaluation process must be well-structured around a complete understanding of your organisation’s needs, regulations to comply with, and the specific tools you require to streamline your compliance operations.
There are seven basic steps to choosing the best RegTech solution, however these may be more or less comprehensive, or with extra steps added, depending on your firm’s precise requirements and the industry you operate within.
- Step 1: Identify your needs: Understand your compliance requirements and identify areas where automation could streamline processes. What do your current onboarding processes look like? Where are the bottlenecks? What could you automate? This is an ideal time to re-evaluate your existing workflows and assess their efficacy. Do your current processes seem overly complex? Is there any unnecessary red tape that hampers productivity? Digitising inefficient procedures is futile; so, seize this opportunity to reinvent your current strategies and processes.
- Step 2: Vendor evaluation: Research various RegTech vendors, their services, technology, and customer reviews. Which vendors best fit your needs? Do they have experience with a business like yours and understand your needs? Could you ask peers for recommendations of platforms? Who needs to be involved in this process from your firm?
- Step 3: Request demonstrations: Most vendors will provide a demo of their product. Use this opportunity to evaluate the technology’s compatibility with your needs. Make a list of key questions to ask, features to look out for, what their implementation process would look like and how long this might take.
- Step 4: Integrations: It is important to understand how a RegTech solution will integrate with your existing systems and how this is achieved. The seamless integration of various software tools is not just a convenience – it’s a necessity. Understanding how the software can integrate with your existing systems is paramount to ensuring your compliance operation runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Step 5: Scalability: As your business grows, your RegTech software should be able to scale with it. How easy is it to add or remove users? Are there limitations on the number of checks you can carry out? What check volumes do you expect to process in the next 12/24/36 months?
- Step 6: Security assessment: The solution should be secure, particularly when handling sensitive data. Check the vendor’s security certifications and protocols.
- Step 7: Customer support: Look for vendors who offer robust support and regular updates to their software. What are the methods of support you can access? What about training? How soon can you expect a response from customer support? How are system updates rolled out and are these at an additional cost?
The adoption of RegTech solutions presents a number of benefits to organisations operating in regulated environments. It is an essential part of the compliance toolkit in modern businesses, transforming the way professionals manage and ensure continued compliance. The ultimate outcome is an efficient, transparent, and compliant organisation that’s well-equipped to face the challenges of today’s regulatory landscape.