7 Reasons to use Digital Right to Work Software
From October 1st 2022, new UK legislation came into effect for how businesses check their employees’ Right to Work. The new UK Digital Identity and Attributes Trust framework from the DCMS (Department for Culture, Media and Sport) states that businesses are only able to hire applicants by meeting them face-to-face; by using technology for ID validation; or the Home Office online service, to check onboarding documents.
It is recommended that businesses use government-certified IDSPs (Identity Service Providers), to deliver digital right to work checks, but not mandatory. However, there is the prospect of £20k fines, invasive audits and business interruption for those businesses that get it wrong.
NorthRow obtained certification as an Identity Service Provider (IDSP) in October 2022 after a comprehensive audit process and is able to offer many benefits through its digital software, ensuring compliant remote ID checks.
Benefits of Digital Right to Work Software
We’ve highlighted 7 reasons to use a digital right to work solution using IDVT (Identification Document Validation Technology).
Removes the Need for Face-to-Face Checks
- The pandemic allowed ‘adjusted’ right to checks. This meant employee verification could take place via a video call. This is no longer the case since October 1st 2022; however, employers can use IDVT. This technology removes the need for time consuming face-to-face meetings prior to onboarding.
- The outgoing style of ‘adjusted’ checks was easy to manipulate, and saw increasing levels of fraud. IDVT reduces this risk with access to large identity document libraries held securely in the cloud that are more reliable in detecting fraudulent documents, particularly when processing higher volumes.
- IDVT removes the need for face-to-face checks using manual processes as well as having to navigate the drawn-out system of obtaining a share code via the Home Office online service. Instead, employees can be onboarded in minutes, from anywhere, at any time, and in real-time from an easy-to-use interface.
- IDVT supplied by a certified Identity Service Provider (IDSP) will reduce process tasks by following the same workflow. This provides consistency and ensures your business is following the right steps for your employees to work in the UK.
- Manually verifying documents is incredibly unsecure with copies of ID documents at danger of being copied, lost or stolen. IDVT allows remote onboarding without the need to take documents into an office for copying. This leads to a far more efficient onboarding process and easier compliance with GDPR.
- Whilst a digital service does attract a cost, this can be offset through efficiency benefits and protects your business against costly fines and the risk of reputational damage.
Seamless Employee Experience
- As more and more transactions move online, prospective employees expect a fully digital process. They want to engage with organisations who are forward-thinking and not spend weeks waiting for start dates or requests for more information.
There are a number of benefits in partnering with an IDSP – not least for delivering against the new Right to Work regulations applicable from October 1st 2022, as laid out in the government’s guidance. But it’s also a secure way of vetting, verifying and storing employee data, using less time, effort and money.
How NorthRow can help Streamline Right to Work
NorthRow’s digital right to work app is available on smartphones, tablets and desktop devices without the need to be connected to the internet. Using the latest digital technology, businesses can onboard candidates at any time, from anywhere, in minutes.
Businesses benefit from streamlined processes, enhanced security, and faster turnarounds, replacing manual processes with a fully automated tool to perform full pre-employment checks.
NorthRow, a certified IDSP, can provide you with additional guidance and advice. For more information and further support documents, get in touch with one of our experts.